Charity Day 2016
The 2016 Monster Charity day was held Saturday, 9th January, 2016 at the Heads Hotel overlooking the Shoalhaven River on what turned out to be a perfect Summer’s Day.
All charities were represented on the day including the Head’s Rural Fire-fighting Service, the Heads Surf Life-Saving Club (SLSC), the Marine Rescue Shoalhaven, Apex’s ‘The Shack’ and Shoalhaven Heads Pre-School – all helping out by selling tickets for all our raffles, and informing the public on how important it is to have these volunteers to keep our beaches safe, our homes safe from fires and our fisherman safe at sea.
The Raffle Prizes included a 4.2m Boat with trailer, a stand up paddleboard, a 6-Burner Outdoor BBQ with party packs, and more.
The Apex volunteers with Gareth Ward local MP were kept busy all day in the BBQ area cooking from lunch well into the evening.
Local Ray Fordham with his auctioneering skills was MC for the day with the assistance of myself and other fishing club members, whilst local musicians Paul Greene and Emily Rigz entertained the crowd. We also had a Zumba performance by Vicki Swift.
Lesley Gibson and other volunteers were kept busy writing raffle tickets.
The Winners of the raffle were:-
1st prize – 4.2 m Brooker Boat – ticket 3103 David Jackson
2nd prize – Standup Paddleboard – ticket 6376 M. Clinch
3rd prize – 6 Burner Barbeque – ticket 2549 R. Webb
4th prize – Keg of Beer and $200.00 meat voucher – ticket 5237 Matt Vout
A big thank you goes to:
- Companies and Individuals that donated items for our auction and equipment for the day.
- BnS Party Supplies for supplying the Amusement rides.
- Shoalhaven Marine Rescue who had their rescue vessel out at the Heads and took children and their parents on rides up the River
- APEX for their quality BBQ skills as usual
- The Heads Pre-School for running the kiddies corner with games, tattoo’s, cupcakes etc.
- The Shoalhaven Heads Surf Club for the use of their bus and assistance writing raffle tickets
- The Shoalhaven Heads Rural Fire Service who brought their trucks and staff along to help out on the day, as well as the Shoalhaven Heads Surf Lifesaving Club and its members for also lending a hand. A crowd of around one thousand attended the day and kept the bar staff busy – including the celebrity Doug May with XXXX Gold Bar out on the deck.Everyone acknowledged the community spirit of the day, and a big thank you to all who attended and put their hands in their pockets to donate.A great day was had by all and I must thank all the members and staff of the Heads Hotel and Fishing Club for volunteering their services on the day and in the months leading up to the event – Also to Michelle Nellestein and Colin Waller for their assistance in running this event that is growing from strength to strength each year.We raised $22,654.00 for our local charities – with the total over the past 16 years now exceeding $400,000 – A great job by all highlighting a generous community coming together at ‘the local’ in Shoalhaven Heads.